Volunteers at Anoka County Library
We recruit, select, and train volunteers to assist in identified tasks that support our services to Anoka County Library customers. Volunteers do not replace staff; they free up staff time for completion of higher level tasks. Our use of volunteers in appropriate, meaningful positions acknowledges our commitment to managing all available resources as effectively as possible.
1. When a volunteer need is identified by staff, an applicable job description will be posted on our website and on our public bulletin boards.
2. A potential volunteer who finds a posted position that matches their own skills and availability will complete and return an application form.
3. If, after reviewing the application, the volunteer coordinator agrees the applicant may be a good match for the position, an interview will be scheduled.
4. A newly placed volunteer must attend a two hour orientation session prior to beginning work.
5. Teen volunteer hours for school credit are handled differently.
Examples of work done by our volunteers
· Keeping assigned parts of the collection neat and in order
· Putting carts of items in proper order so they can be returned to shelves
· Assisting in craft preparation for children’s programming
· Stamping, sorting, counting, cleaning
· Preparing items for our book sale
· Assisting with Summer Reading activities
· Facilitating English conversation practice
· Guiding and teaching computer users
· Pulling items from shelves to fill hold requests